The Bishop's Palace lies north of the eastern end of the gardens and, although not in the possession of the Dean and Chapter, it does share a significant history with the Cathedral.
Contained within the Palace lies a twelfth century chapel that has remained in use, and mostly unaltered, over the last 800 years.
The substantial repairs afforded the Palace over the centuries has clouded the exact date of its creation but it is known that the Palace was rebuilt by Bishop Seffrid II following the fire that devastated the Cathedral and the town in 1187.
Although public access to the Palace is not often available, the Cathedral does sometimes offer the opportunity to visit the Palace’s chapel during tours held on our 'Behind the Scenes' Day. Keep an eye on our Events calendar for the next one of these.
The front of the Palace may be viewed by passing under the arch at the end of Canon Lane in The Close on the way to the Palace gardens.