The organ at Chichester contains some of the oldest pipework in England and dates from the seventeenth century. It narrowly escaped destruction when the spire collapse in 1861, having been moved to the North Transept shortly beforehand.
The magnificent double case designed by Dr Arthur Hill was added in 1888, incorporating some decorated display pipes from the 1678 instrument by Renatus Harris. In 1986, Mander Organs undertook a comprehensive rebuild, retaining the subtle qualities of the historic pipework and sensitively adding to them.
The organ can be heard at many of our services, and often features in the lunchtime concert series.
For more information see Chichester Cathedral organ specification.